[pct-l] packs: comfort vs weight: Why packs work, Part 2

Tom,

You are a marvel.  This is why you are a major contributor to this list.  I
think that you understand the physical requirements of loading an individual
with weight possibly better than any pack manufacturer out there.

(Wait a second.  Did I just compliment you?  Oh NO!  I take that back.  I
wouldn't want to offend you or anyone else!)

My Kelty Tioga has a top U shaped bar that attaches to the vertical stays and
acts a bit like a top handle on the pack but also allows me to attach tent or
any other equipment to the very top of the pack.  This bar bugged me because
it was straight and forced my head forward.  However, I bent it to curve
concavely toward my head so that I could straighten up and, viola, no
problem.

You are right.  The Kelty Tioga rides very high on the shoulders.  I found
that with the shoulder and waist straps tightened down to prevent shifting
that I could easily balance delicately with a very large amount of weight
(such as tip toeing on an ice covered log across a raging creek).

I'm still thinking the double i beam design of frame is worth trying out.  I
may try to make one out of bamboo.  It is cheap and easy to work with.

Greg

"Salvitur Ambulando"
(walking solves all things)
            St. Augustine