[pct-l] I'm Back

 Had a fun trip at Chelan. Dick is correct that the Lake Shore trail is
closed due to big fire they had in 2001 which burn 12 of the 17 mile trail. (
I still hiked the trail from 15 miles out as I was dropped off by private
boat and saw the trail closed signs at Moore Point 7 miles from Stehekin.
Trail is burned but new log bridge is in at Moore Point and trail is O.K.
Also hiked up the Purple Pass Trail at Stehekin and saw a huge mule deer buck
in velvet and a small cinnamon colored black bear along the way . Ate
breakfast at the Courtney Bros. Ranch and talked a bit with Crag. He says the
PCT thru-hikers are not looking as " Ragged" the last few years thanks to the
new Ultra-light craze. He did say he does take a beating on his "All you can
eat" dinners as some thru-hikers really do take unfair advantage of his
hospitality and eat enough fruit for 10 normal guests. advice to 2003 hikers
is to not send a resupply box to Stehekin, but just take the Lady of the Lake
to Chelan and go to Safeway, then eat at the Campbell House, camp in the City
Park and boat back in the morning. For the price of mailing your box, you
could have the boat ticket. Monte

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---