[pct-l] Re: Pines ... was Jack Fair's house

In a message dated 6/12/02 9:01:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
CMountainDave@aol.com writes:

> Uh, anyone out there know if a fox tail pine is the same as a bristle cone
> pine? I remember seeing these stalwart trees in the Golden Trout wilderness
> and marveled at how each tree was an individual, sculpted in a unique,
> bizarre way. ... For example, these foxtails live to great ages. In fact, I
> saw a cross section of one that had lived for 4900 years in a ranger
> station at Great Basin National Park.

I have no way of knowing what you saw at Great Basin NP. However, if they
made mention of a tree that lived for 4900 years, one can almost bet that
they were talking about a Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva [aristata var.
longaeva] ), which is sometimes referred to by the common name, Foxtail Pine.

The other Foxtail Pine (Pinus balfouriana) is closely related to the
Bristlecone Pine (they have similar foliage).

Bristlecone Pine, inhabiting high mountains farther east (the Inyo National
Forest in the White Mountains), has shorter cones, with each cone-scale
ending in a slender bristle.

Foxtail Pines can be found along the PCT between Mulkey Pass and Cottonwood
Pass (near Horseshoe Meadow).

FWIW,
Charlie

multipart/alternative