[pct-l] Jack Fair's house

Jack may not have lucked out at the end of his life, but it looks like he
sure has now with the new trail angel owning his old house. And the PCT thru
hikers luck out, too

Carbon 14 dating assumes that the decay rate of long lived isotopes is
lineal. Maybe. Maybe not. Since we won't be around in 5700 years, isn't that
figure taken on faith?

   Went to Camp Muir on Rainier today to get in shape for next weeks summit
attempt and test out the rented plastic boots. Pia, a 35 year old woman from
Finland, kicked everybody's butt. And I do mean EVERYBODY. She even beat the
RMI guide who was trying his damnedest to be the fastest person on the
mountain. She came down 4500 feet in an hour and ten minutes. Gonna be tough
for her to be held back by a rope team. Lots of sunshine but, as usual,
intermittent bitter winds at 10000 feet. About 4 - 6 feet of snow at the 5500
foot level. Its melting about 3 inches a day now, so the flowers should be
out about mid July. Even though it was an above average snowpack, there shou
ld be no snow problems for early thru hikers this year, unlike the mother of
all snowpacks year of '99 (Mt. Baker sets world record) A dry and clear
September was the only thing that prevented the entire snowpack above 6000
feet from making it to the next winter for the first time in recorded
history. I'm sure many permanent snowfields have expanded because of that
event and many new ones created. Will they be permanent? Stay tuned and get
that carbon 14 ready!