[pct-l] PCT '03 & Lonely Trail in OR, WA

Hi Karen,

If you hike when most others doing a through-hike are coming through
(August-September), the chances are you will find others to hike with. As
you know, hiking with a partner can work - and not work. Different paces,
different meal times, etc.

Everyone is different - I happen to like the solitude, so not seeing anyone
for days is OK. But, I haven't hiked the trail without running into someone
else sometime during the day.

Again, if you are doing the trail when other are there you will run into
hoards of people, especially at every resupply point. You may not be able to
avoid meeting people even if you try.

In the south, drop into Callahan's restaurant south of Ashland for a few
hours. Then Crater Lake at the Mazama Campground Store. Ditto for Shelter
Cove at Odell Lake, Elk Lake Resort, Big Lake Youth Camp, Ollallie Lake, and
Cascade Locks - all in Oregon. Some folks take off at McKenzie pass to go to
Sisters and Bend.

Then, in Washington, people get a little more spread out. But, White Pass,
Snoqualmie, Stevens Pass, and Stehekin get groups in  at the same time. The
hiking is much tougher than Oregon - the scenery beautiful. Just watch out
for the hunters (in Oregon too).

So, if you want to hike - go for it. You will find people to hike with.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@attbi.com
(503) 232-5271