[pct-l] Northwest Mts. Bite

I don't think that snow conditions contributed that much to either accident.
I just heard a ranger say on the radio that May and June are popular months
because the crevasses are still under 4 to 6 feet of snow, affording easy
crossing (roped, of course, just in case). The caveat is that storms are much
more frequent in May and June than July and August. The problem on Rainier
was that the weather wasn't respected. Any time the air comes in from the
ocean is a bad time to climb Rainier. They chose a route on a ridge that is
notorious for exposure to the wind with no way off the ridge. The air came in
off the ocean -- not a particularly strong storm and their tents were ripped
to shreds (I think people who think it would be fun to camp on the summit are
either ignorant or flippant. Many a tent has shredded on the summit in
120mph+ winds) They dug a snow cave, got settled in, someone went outside,
slipped and fell off the ridge in whiteout conditions. Someone went to look
for him, and accidentally walked on the roof of the cave and it collapsed,
burying vital gear like sleeping bags, jackets and maybe even the snow
shovel. They were then exposed to those horrendous steady winds, realized
they had no chance at all if they stayed put, so went for the descent in
whiteout conditions, became disoriented and fell and/or succumbed to
hypothermia. 3 of the 4 might have lived if the snow cave hadn't been
collapsed
  Hood was an accident waiting to happen. The story there was no different
from on several popular volcano climbs. Dozens of people climbing on a single
file outdoor stair master -- the up steps replacing the stairs. If someone
falls at the head of the line (and I'm guessing that person on Hood either
lost their ice ax, had no ice ax, didn't know how to self arrest or needed
crampons), and slides into those below, watch out. Once 2 people are all
tangled up and falling with some speed, they will take out those below like a
row of dominoes. This one is bound to be repeated someday on several of the
crowded routes of Baker, Rainier and Hood
  Lessons? Avoid high altitude ridges when the wind is from the west
(Cascades), pay CLOSE attention to the weather forecast and avoid popular
routes that involve single file fall line climbing
 My climb of Rainier is still scheduled for mid June with 7 people. 4 of them
were practicing by climbing to Camp Muir last Tuesday and witnessed an
incredibly 15 minute change from bright sunshine to near white out fog
followed shortly by a cold rain. They wisely chose to turn back