[pct-l] Re: thru-hiker webpage and Elk Lake

Michael (and other interested parties),

My son, Gerad Dean, has a web site that I will be maintaining for him.  The address is www.coinet.com/~iliketohike   (note the tilde ~ after the slash).  I will update the site as I hear from Gerad.

Gerad is attending the ADZPCTKO.  If anyone who is reading this is also attending, please say hello to Gerad for me.
I live in Bend Oregon, about 40 miles from Elk Lake.  There is no truth to the rumor that Elk Lake Resort burnt down.  There was a forest fire near Elk Lake a few years ago but the resort was spared.

The following is the account of Gerad's beginning to his journey as told by his good friend Seth that drove him to the trailhead.  Enjoy...
Morning 1, PCT trek - April 26, 2002

The morning began at 4:30 am at my condo in La Jolla, Ca. Gerad woke up and started double checking that everything was packed correctly while I sat and watched with dozing eyes. He fiddled around for what seemed the longest time, but he wanted to get everything right...including replacing all nylon cord on his tarp-tent because the original cords were "too slippery." Finally, the clock struck 5:22, the Salomon Raid Race shoes came on and I knew it was time to drive! It had been pouring rain all night after what was a gorgeous day previous. The rain had let up however, and the temperature was mild but ripe for hiking. It took us about 1.5 hours of winding roads before we finally reached Campo. Once in Campo we hit some dirt road for about 3/4 of a mile and found the Southern Terminus that Gerad had been looking around corners for the entire drive. The Terminus was literally "on the fence" of Mexico and the U.S.. The only thing missing seemed to be the nostalgic framed pictures of George Dubbya and Dick Chainey the we had the pleasure of seeing at the border crossing on our visit to Mexico the previous day.

Neither of us could quite believe it. This was it! I think Gerad was just realizing what he was about to embark on and I was desperately wishing I had opted in on the trip. There were about 6 other hikers of all ages getting ready to hike. After logging his deep and meaningful message in the PCT registry ("Headed for Canada -- Gerad"), he strapped on his Osprey Aether 60 backpack and took his first step on the Pacific Crest Trail. What a moment! It was tough to leave my buddy behind, but alas, I had some loans to close. As I sit in my office merely hours after dropping him in the middle of nowhere, I can't help but think of Gerad Deano Baggio Raggio. He's walking to Canada right now...he's my hero...

Click Here

text/html (html body -- converted)
---