[pct-l] newcomer

Hi, all.

I just tuned into the list a week or so ago.  I've
been a lurker, on and off, for several years.  I had
planned to thru-hike in 2000, but backed out.  Now I'm
definitely going this year.  Unfortunately, I'm a
little behind the eight ball in planning.  I hope you
all don't mind if I pose a few questions.  I perused
the archives first, but they haven't been posted yet
for Feb-present, so you may be worn out with some of
these questions.  Sorry.

First, is anyone in San Diego hosting hikers?
Unfortunately, I can't make it in time for the
kick-off.  I'll be flying in on Saturday, May 4.  Any
assistance would be appreciated, especially a ride to
the trailhead.

Second, I bought the 1995 edition of the PCT Guidebook
in 1999 for my 2000 hike and updated it in 1999 and
2000 with the updates from the wilderness press
website.  Should I still buy the updated 2000 edition
and use it instead?

Third, I will make every effort to hike from the
border to Lake Morena Campground in a single day, but
if I'm unable, is there anywhere safe to camp along
the way?  I'll be hiking solo, and the warnings about
illegal aliens in the area frighten me.  Any advice?

That's all for now.  Thanks for any comments or
suggestions.

Sara aka Butterfree