[pct-l] Journal and music in one toy

I recently got a Samsung Yepp MP3 player.
http://www.samsungelectronics.com/digital_audio_player/yepp/YP_ndu64.html

The toy has 64meg onboard memory, and takes a 64meg smartcard.

If I down-sample my mp3s to 96K (or lower) I can get about 40 songs per
card and I can't really hear the distortion on my little earbuds.... A card
weighs about a gram, and the whole toy with batteries weighs in at about
3.5 oz. A set of AAA batteries lasts at least 8 hours. You can get a 64Meg
smart card for about $30, so for a couple of hundred $, you could carry a
whole music library with you, and could even have someone at home make up
more cards for you......

The cool thing is that my Yepp has a voice recorder on it. It is possible
to record to either the onboard memory, or the smart card (not straight
forward, but possible...), so  you could keep a journal on a smart card and
mail it home when it gets full.

Much lighter, more power efficient, and easier to use than a walkman or
diskman (and I've seen plenty of headphones on thru-hikers....)
--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com