[pct-l] Re: New On-Trail List?

Timeliness is likely to be important, so I'd think a newletter might be
less than ideal... the editor might get busy at the wrong time.
A moderated mailing list (PCT-ONTRAIL?)
with about three moderators sounds about right.
Any one moderator can approve a posting,
which goes out immediately upon approval.
Anybody can subscribe, and anybody can post,
but the moderators only approve content essential to people
who ARE, or are ABOUT to be, ON THE TRAIL (and thus away from normal
communication channels).

PCT-L should be a member, in order to receive all approved postings to
PCT-ONTRAIL, to
avoid the need to subscribe to both, even though some people will post to both
needlessly.     I have some experience with this, having run majordomo
lists for floating-point arithmetic and Toyota MR2's.
People will routinely get confused as to what list is for what.

A way to do this as a digest with a little more time lag, is to
have about three editors that
edit the daily PCT-L digest and send only the relevant stuff
to PCT-ONTRAIL.      Only one editor need be on duty
each day.   Only the editors can post to
PCT-ONTRAIL.  Anybody can subscribe to
PCT-ONTRAIL, but there is no need to subscribe to both PCT-ONTRAIL and
PCT-L because one is a guaranteed subset of the other.

It's all kind of abstract to me.    If I were on trail, the last thing
I'd carry is an email device.    HYOH, EYOE.