[pct-l] New On-Trail List?

I used the PocketMail on the trail last summer and there were so
many message that I needed to unsubscribe that account or else it
would literally take 30-60 minutes to download the messages. I hiked
with someone who needed to email someone else to email this list for a
ride to the kick-off party because he didn't want to wade through
hundreds of messages.

Think about it. 10-20 (conservative) messages a day, 3-5 days between
telephone calls and you can see how the number of messages will add
up. A dedicated list with maybe 1-2 emails (with pertinent info) per
day would be a good idea. The ability for those on the trail to post
would be nice too.

Jim

> Seems to me that this list does the trick. Why look in multiple
places or
> post to multiple lists? Whenever you get to a resupply that has a
computer
> handy, just sign on to this list.  I think you will find that the
postings
> diminish because most people who are interested are on the trail. In
2000,
> getting access was hit and miss. And if you are going with everyone
else,
> not many are ahead to give any useful info. The info on the PCTA
site wasn't
> accurate - like reading that an ice axe was suggested for the next
section
> when the snow was gone and temperatures were in the 70's.
>
> Marshall Karon
> Portland, OR
> m.karon@attbi.com
> (503) 232-5271

Info could
> > include water updates, hiker-to-hiker communication, and trail
conditions.
> > I know most of that shows up on this list, but there's also a lot
of other
> > stuff that shows up on this list too.
> > I imagine the list being fairly low-traffic and heavily moderated
for
> > content.
> >
> > Do other current or past hikers think this would be a valuable
resource?
> > Would people use it?
> >
> > If we decide that the list would be helpful, the next question
is:  Is
> > anyone out there willing to moderate it?  I'll be hiking this year
(thus
> my
> > interest in the list and my request for someone else to moderate
it).
> > Next:  Where would we have this list?  YahooGroups?
Backcountry.net?