[pct-l] New On-Trail List?

At 05:37 PM 4/7/02, John Brennan wrote:
>If we decide that the list would be helpful, the next question is:  Is
>anyone out there willing to moderate it?  I'll be hiking this year (thus my
>interest in the list and my request for someone else to moderate it).
>Next:  Where would we have this list?  YahooGroups? Backcountry.net?
>Interested in the discussion.

I assume that this list would be accessed primarily by thru hikers using
pocket mail.

That means you DO NOT want to use Yahoo! Groups, or some other system that
sends HTML mail with lots of ads in it. It would use up too much bandwidth
and mailbox space.

The next question is do you really want a discussion mailing list (like
this one - but posting limited to thru hikers) or do you want an
"Newsletters" list (as Yahoo! groups calls it), where the moderator gathers
and edits "pertinent" information and then sends timely newsletters with
trail conditions and other interesting information.

Since summer is Hiking season, a team of moderators would be best....that
way things don't get delayed when the moderator goes out for a walk.

all IMHO.

--
Brick Robbins

All that is gold does not glitter,