[pct-l] advice will be appreciated

I've never backpacked in California. Most summers I backpack 6 or 8 weeks in the
Canadian or Montana Rockies (as I plan to do this summer), though I've also done
the PCT from Manning Park to the Bridge of the gods, in several bits and pieces.
Last summer I was in jail, so didn't get to the mountains atall; to make up for
it I plan to hike the PCT from Campo to just north of LA (3-points on the Angeles
Crest Hiway), leaving Campo April 23, flying out of LAX on May 20. I usually
carry goretex raincoat and pants, but figure dessert should be dry enough that
I'll save weight by only taking a light plastic raincoat. Is that being naive?
Please, no wisecracks about getting arrested for ONLY wearing a raincoat -- you
know what I mean! Can anyone predict whether I'm liable to have trouble with too-
deep snow on Fuller Ridge (in San Jacinto Wilderness) where I expect to be around
May 4? A similar question about the trail near Baden-Powell around mid-May?
I noticed in a posting that I read today, that someone left a few gallons of
water at a couple of places along the trail south of Hiway 74. Is that likely to
be repeated? Will there be postings of where to look for water left by such Nice
Folks?
I hope you oldtimers will have mercy on ignorant young folks like me (I'm only
72) and give me some advice.
Oh, one more thing. I'll arrive at the San Diego Bus station around 7:30 AM,
April 23. How do I get public transportation and what part of (or suburb of) San
Diego do I head for to hitchhike to Campo -- I don't want to wait around for the
afternoon bus to Campo. Thanks.