Subject: [pct-l] Idyllwild resupply

Idyllwild is the resupply stop of choice. Cabazon has all the charm of a strip mall. Hadley's is very cool though.

If you are doing 20 or more mile days, 4-5 days food will get you from Idyllwild to Big Bear. Cabazon would be joyfully skipped.

Have you heard the stories of hikers waiting out the heat of the
day under I-10? This is the area where you'd try to catch a ride
into Cabazon. Imagine standing next to a hot asphalt road trying
to catch a ride in a not very pleasant area. Better yet, you could walk ~10 miles (Not)! The area has 2 weather conditions, hot or strong winds.

I've spent most of my life in that area and the sooner you cross
it, the better.

Idyllwild is relatively cool and only a couple miles off the trail.
Hauling 4+ days of food is not that big of a deal. Of course, if you are wearing boots, a Kelty pack, etc, 1 day of food would be a drag.

If you've already chosen Idyllwild as a resupply, you've chosen wisely.

Scott Parks

> While Idyllwild is a great " Hiker Friendly" resupply town, it is so
> close to Cabazon as to be "Worthless" to resupply with. We are
> talking 2 day resupply here and not worth the 5 mile round trip. If > a hiker wishs to side trip and see the town, by all meaning do it, > but it is worthless to drop down , get food to Big Bear, then lug
> it back up only to drop 8,000ft. to the Pink Motel and then start
> your climb back up again. Good choice would be to drop down the
> suicide trail to Idyllwild and ditch your pack on the PCT. You
> could drop to Idyllwild for the day ( Or Night) and return, but
> without your pack. If you resupply out of Idyllwild to make it to
> Big Bear, you might as well be using a Kelty Tioga, 5 lb. boots and > forget anything about lightweight hiking.  There are many side "
> Grunts" along the PCT to make( Like Shasta or Whitney) , but this
> one can be passed.

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp