[pct-l] Iron Mtn. IV - April 13 & 14

I made a mistake on the date, it should be April 13 & 14. We will be mtn.
biking the Grand Traverse Ride on the 20th!

Are you ready for a short spring backpacking trip? Join us in 2 weeks
weeks for Iron Mtn. IV.

We will be taking the Heaton Flat Trail up Iron Mountain (one peak west
of Mt. Baldy). It is a pretty good trail for the first 3 miles, then
about 2 miles on a fair trail along an undulating ridge (2500' of gain in
these 5 miles) and then about 2 1/2 miles of an un maintained "use trail"
up a ridge to the summit.

>From there we will come back down 2 1/2 miles to the saddle at 4582' and
take a right on the Allison Mine Trail. It traverses around the mountain
for 3 miles, with very little change in elevation, to Allison Gulch and
the mine. We will camp across the creek from the mine, there are plenty
of flat places where the buildings used to be. The trail was mostly
overgrown at the end of last year but it is in fairly good shape now,
thanks to lots of brush trimming (and yucca cutting!). The trail tread
needs work on it in some places but it is all passable with a backpack
which is a great improvement. If someone didn't want to do the summit,
they could go directly to the  mine and save 5 miles and about that many
hours!

In the morning we can explore the mine and Allison Gulch, have lunch and
then head back for an easy 8 mile return. It is a beautiful area with a
pleasant stream running through it, truly a remote feeling wilderness
area, just a few hours from the city. There are also various remnants of
mining equipment to look at (and wonder how they ever got them in there!)
and I want to look for the old trail that goes down the gulch to East
Fork of the San Gabriel River. Gold was discovered there in 1914 by John
Allison, him and his three sons built the mine. It was worked it until
1942, producing an estimated $50,000 in hard earned gold.

This is one of the harder hikes in the San Gabriels (if you go to the
summit of Iron Mtn.) so will be a great training hike for whatever
adventure you are training for. It is 21 miles round trip. There is also
a camp site on the river, at the start of the Heaton Flat trail if anyone
wanted to camp there on Friday night.

We will meet at the Ranger Station just north of Azusa on Hwy. 39 (Azusa
Ave./San Gabriel Canyon Rd.) at 8:15 in the morning. There is free "on
street" parking just before the station. It is another 20 min. or so to
the trail head at the East Fork Fire Station. Forest Adventure Passes
(available at the ranger station if we need more) are required to park
there. We plan to start hiking at 9:00.

No cost to join us, please RSVP just so we know how many to expect. Bring
your own food, every one is on their own for meals. Please call or email
if you have any questions.

Vic Hanson
310-787-7245