[pct-l] Re: thru hike

Phil, I have copied your message to the PCT List, which is an internet=20
discussion list of PCT related issues.  There are probably several former PC=
T=20
section and thruhikers in your area that can help you with planning.  Also,=20
joining this list will provide many answers to all of your questions.  There=
=20
is a link to it and instructions on how to join on the PCTA website:=20
http://www.pcta.org/.  A good idea is to search the PCT list archives on any=
=20
issue that you have a question on before asking the list as almost every=20
question that you can imagine has already been hotly and extensively=20
discussed here.

I thru-hiked the trail in 1977, so although I have strong opinions on the=20
best strategy for hiking the trail, your questions on planning are better=20
asked of someone who has thru-hiked more recently.

If you are planning to hike the trail in 2003, then the best thing that you=20
can do is attend the ADZPCTKO on April 27th, or the ALDHA (American Long=20
Distance Hiking Association) West gathering in the fall this year.  See;=20
http://www.aldhawest.org/ for more info on that gathering.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

Phil writes:
> Hi Greg, my name is Phil Clark.  I=B4m a sophmore at Southern Oregon=20
> University, and I=B4ve dreamed of hiking the PCT since I was little (20 ye=
ars=20
> old is probably still little, but you get the picture).  If all goes well,=
=20
> I plan to hike to PCT during spring and summer of 2003.  I live in Medford=
=20
> Oregon, about 30 miles from the Oregon-California border.  I=B4m hoping th=
at=20
> you know someone that has hiked the trail in the past that lives reasonabl=
y=20
> close to my home.  I=B4d love to talk face-to-face with as many people as=20
> possible.
> Have you hiked the trail yourself?  Have any general tips for someone like=
=20
> myself, unexperienced in hikes lasting longer than a week?  Good=20
> preperation hikes/training thoughts?
> Thanks for taking the time to read through my email- hopefully we will mee=
t=20
> in a future PCT kickoff gathering.
> Phil
> =20