[pct-l] Resupply (and Crater Lake)

One thing to consider (but not count on) with resupply is that sometimes the
post offices that are listed as closed on Saturday will allow you to pick up
during the brief window of time that the postal person is sorting mail.
Idyllwild, for example, would let thruhikers pick up mail on Saturday and an
hour earlier than the "opening time" in the morning.  Old Station was
another - when we rushed to get there on Friday afternoon, we were told, "Oh
we would have given you your box between 11:00 and 12:00 Saturday."  Even
better, the postmaster at Cascade Locks let us in on Saturday to pick up the
box of brownies Jim's daughter sent after we called him to ask if that would
be possible.  We had already picked up our mail the day before, and were
planning to leave town on Saturday, but were told in a call that the box had
been sent and ought to be waiting for us.  Since he opened up for us
specially, we rewarded him with a few brownies, and everyone was happy.

Re Crater Lake - a lot of people miss the hike from the campground to the
Rim -- it is a really nice hike.  Don't take the road if you can help it.
We did a maildrop at the store, took a shower, did laundry and leisurely
climbed up to the AYCE buffet by the lake.

Also, the day before you reach Crater Lake, the side trail to the waterfall
is one I recommend.  For one thing, it has water, which the official route
lacks.  Second, the waterfall is really pretty and there's good camping
nearby.

Ginny