[pct-l] Re: ice axe

In a message dated 2/24/02 4:39:52 PM, Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

<< As far as I concerned, there's two lessons to be learned there. >>

The only lesson I learn from this is that traversing a steep snow slope is
dangerous. You can slip, slide, and hit the rocks below causing injuries. All
other circumstances are just that: circumstances (no ice ax/lost ice ax,
valid vs. invalid reasons for bailing out, shoe vs. boots, prepared for
weather/not prepared, ad infinitum). We will never agree on what the proper
response for the given circumstance should have been. Nor do I think there
should be only one. The guy made a decision and, obviously, it was the wrong
one. So, make your decisions wisely when it comes to crossing steep snow
slopes. Seems simple enough, but what about those best laid plans ---  when
simply being proficient in the use of an ice ax just ain't enough to hold
back the fate of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and reacting just
a split second too late. Such is the bugaboo of mountaineering