[pct-l] travelers checks - Debit Cards - Cautionary Note

 If you plan to take a debit card, simply remember that there is no
> protection on your card. So if you put a bunch of money in it and someone
> steals the account number. You have no protection against them draining
your
> bank account.

Our ATM debit card (not a prepaid money card) requires a PIN or a signature
like a credit card and we used either of these two methods to get money.
I'll ask my credit union about loss protection. I also carried a prepaid
phone card's numbers ( no sense in carrying the card itself) and you're
right that if someone got the numbers it would be my loss up to the $20 that
I carried on it. I could add more minutes, but not from a pay phone (use a
motel or store's phone) by charging my VISA.