From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 8:13 AM
To: PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Cannisters & bugs

"Ignorant Tom" writes:

> When you leave Agnew Meadow, take the High
> Trail [the actual PCT]. Understand that this is totally ugly compared to
> the
> John Muir

The High Trail is actually and arguably the most scenic of the three trails
up the upper San Joaquin River valley from the Red's Meadow - Agnew Meadow
area.  It is anything but ugly.  It is hard, as you climb most of the
elevation right out of Agnew Meadows in a series of switchbacks up the ridge

to the east of the river.  However, once in this vantage point the views
into
the Minaretts - Ritter Range are unparalleled.  This is best hiked early in
the day with the sun behind you.  Later in the day the sun will be in your
face over the Minaretts.  Granted it does not have the cascades of the San
Joaquin River to entertain you as the River Trail does, however, water is
relatively plentiful from springs above the High Trail that flow nearly year

round, including one issuing from the rocks right in the middle of the
trail.

Tom, I'm not sure that the list understands that our jests at each other are

in fun.

List, in case you don't understand, please know that Tom and I are friends.

How else could we insult each other so deeply without it coming to violence?

I can't refute or defend anything he says about me, it's all true!

Having said that, Tom doesn't even hike on the PCT, is a loud mouthed,
egotistical, over opinionated, dirty, low-down computer nerd and gear-geek
without a clue about long distance hiking.  ;-)

Brick, forget the "cool the flame war" email.  I'm not even warm under my
collar.

Greg "Strider" Hummel

multipart/alternative
  text/html