[pct-l] RE: Looking for partner for 2002 thru-hike

id,
I'm thru-hiking, and I don't have a partner.  I'm answering on-list 'cause
others may be wondering the same thing.

I hiked the JMT last summer and timed it to be with some of the PCT
thru-hikers.  What I found is that partners came and went. Some people, like
couples, were committed to hiking the trail together.  Others were free agents,
grouping up as personalities and itineraries meshed.  I hiked with some people
for a few hours, some a few days, and some longer.  Sometimes it was just me,
other times there were seven of us.
I talked to the other hikers and read online journals that describe this
flowing culture strung along a 3 foot corridor 2650 miles long, and they
described what I described.  "Oh, we met in X and left on the same day."  "He's
got to go to a wedding next week, so he's headed out early tomorrow at a fast
pace. I probably won't see him again."

When I hiked, I didn't know this about the trail.  I really liked the dynamic.
I enjoyed the ebb and flow of people.  It was also interesting to see who would
wait for me, say for a half-day town stop, and who I was willing to wait for.
I found comraderie builds quickly with the right people.

So, I don't have a hiking partner, but I'm not worried about being alone.
Maybe we'll hike together...
John B.
Santa Cruz

Message: 6