[pct-l] The Big Hole ,wasTonto Trail

Thanks to all for info on Phantom Ranch and Tonto Trail

In a message dated 12/26/01 2:26:43 PM, goforth@cio.net writes:

<< And the reservation system in the Grand Canyon is ridiculous.

oops I can't agree on this one. I've gotten a permit every time I've applied
for one (8 times). The trick is to be flexible, and basically let THEM define
your itinerary AND dates and work with what you get. They have nicely kept
the feeling of solitude on the handful of unmaintained rim to river trails.
Generally you see only 1 or 2 other parties a day. To me, that is a plus.
Better that than a Mt. Whitney situation on every trail. They also segregate
hikers to some extent by funneling the inexperienced down the Bright Angel or
Kaibab ("Where's a good place to hike, Mr. Ranger?" " Well let me tell you
about the Bright Angel, my son." They wisely follow the "if they don't ASK
about the unmaintained trails, then don't TELL them about the unmaintained
trails."   One-third of the permits are held back for walk ins. Once again,
if you are flexible and can wait a day, you'll get in.
 No one can get permits way in advance, a policy that would degenerate to
years -in- advance -waiting ala kayaking the river.
 In reality, once your in, your in. Once, due to extreme heat (105) we didn't
move camp, and were camped where we were not scheduled to be camped. A
backcountry ranger came by, asked for our permit and didn't bat an eye. He
knew that stuff happens so they are extremely flexible on the unmaintained
trails. Not so for the Bright Angel. Arrive at Indian gardens without a
permit, the rangers will give you some water and a flashlite and tell you
just keep on hiking back towards the rim, assuring you that your plump pink
suncreamed legs will provide more than enough energy and  fat nutrient to
keep your mojo working
   So, do they take packages at Phantom Ranch? Guess I could just call and
find out.
   Anyone know of any way to get a permit on line, since the National Park
websites are still down?