[pct-l] The Big Hole ,wasTonto Trail

no place like it in the world.  You're either hiking in the Grand
> Canyon or you're not;  there is no substitute.

I have spent 20 years walking Canyons, Probably well over 200 by now.  And
I find the Grand Canyon to be at the bottom of my list.  It depends on
perferences.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to see the Grand Canyon is from the
visitor center and from the viewpoints on the rim.  You can see the whole
thing, top to bottom.  It is spectacular.  When you are hiking you can see
only the layer that you are walking in and maybe the strata above and
below.  I feel this RELATIVELY unappealing compared to walking in canyons
with pools and rivulets and lots of variation in slickrock, routefinding,
anazasi ruins, pouroffs, wildlife, and sheer walls made of white or red
sandstone.  Give me the red walls of the Wingate, or the beautiful
sculpting of Navaho sandstone anytime.  Unfortunately a lot of other people
are discovering these other areas over the last 10 years. I am talking
about hiking, not rafting - which brings you to the smaller canyons.  There
are actually very few trails in the Grand Canyon considering its size.

And the reservation system in the Grand Canyon is ridiculous.

Joanne