Fw: [pct-l] Shoes

----- Original Message -----=20
From: JohnFayeNeff=20
To: Slyatpct@aol.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Shoes

Sly
You can ride unshod horses but you won't get much beyond the first day =
or two because your horses would be too lame to walk.  There are rubber =
boots available, but in my experience they are easily lost and are quite =
expensive.  Like $30-$35 per.  I had to reshoe at Anza and At =
Middleton's (the shoer didn't have time to shoe all the horses at Anza). =
 The regular steel shoes were completely worn out.  Horses feet need to =
be trimmed to keep them even.  Wild horses do grow lots of  hoof, but =
they are not moving the distances and at the rate of speed a ridden =
horse does.  Also most of their feet are terribly unbalanced and need =
corrective trimming when they are gentled.  Some horses naturally have =
better balance and hooves are harder than others.  It is mostly a matter =
of genetics at work.  Kind of like mine.  I am genetically incapable of =
walking long distances, but can ride really easily.  Some people can =
walk but not ride and then there are those lucky few who can do both.
Faye

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---