[pct-l] trail food observations

Just a few personal observations I made hiking the PCT
(2000-2001)

Servings from any given item depends how much you like
it....a box of Betty Crocker 4-Cheese Mashed potatoes
(servings per container 8...servings per hungry woman
hiker 2)

Some foods didn't digest well while hiking, but were
fine in town, like peanuts, almonds, other nuts, candy
bars digested fine, no matter where. The chocolate
ones had to be eatten when cool or else the wrapper
licked clean.

Food has to be platible, no way could I eat this "5
Bean" hot dish concoction ( I admit to rumaging this
out of a hiker box...never again! god, had to bury it
after using up muliple hex tablets trying to rehydrate
it, tasting, gagging, cooking....groan....my apologies
to whoever contributed it to the box)

I really never counted the calories up when shopping,
just bought as much as I could carry, chowed out in
town, tried to leave town with food I loved or could
stand at the time. For awhile this was raisins, brown
sugar and oatmeal...no pasta or rice allowed.

Real breads, however heavy, were always a treat, With
block cheese, cream cheese...now, thats Eating!

Ate sugar straight. Tastes like candy. That when
things were just running low.

Wished I had continued to carry multi
vitamins,(ultralightism can be addictive, I am seeking
therapy, thankyou). My hair is trashed. Ginny, how did
you manage with yours? All tips and recovery ideas
greatly appreciated and solicited.

not seeking any wars, fights nor flames

peaceful co-existance
Brawny

=====
A  taste of the wilderness is better than a platter of civilization. To walk in the wilderness is freedom--
http://www.trailquest.net
Please note the change of website address.  Thank you.