[pct-l] Marathons in the Wilderness

re: "I'm just guessing, but I bet it' just might have
to do with group limits and appeasing selfish jerks like me who want quotas
in wilderness areas to keep them feeling like wilderness instead of city
parks".

Yep, you're right. You want to define the wilderness in your own terms and
keep everybody else out. I understand perfectly. I totally agree.

Unfortunately, I just feel your approach is short sighted. Why do you think
our old-growth forests are being clearcut, vallys flooded for reservoirs
etc, etc, etc. It's very simple "Money talks and bullshit walks." We simply
don't have enough people to defend the wilderness as you and I wish.
Backpackers are cheap and there ain't many of them. The average runner
spends more in a year on shoes than the average backpacker's entire pack is
worth.

My idea of wilderness is simple and just like yours. The entire Sierra
should be set aside for JUST ME. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy
it right now so I guess that you and I and others like us need to get
together and get the Feds to keep it set aside for US. In effect we are
buying it with our influence and our votes. However, the more narrow you
define US the less influence and votes we have.

Comparing runners with dirt bikes, snow mobiles and loggers is silly.
Runners, as a group, are a good, low impact, addition to US. I also like
skiers and all those car camper gawkers who crowd Yosemite Valley every
year. The 200 yard hike to the Bridalveil Falls base is their idea of a
"wilderness experience." God bless em. We need em. There ain't enough of US

Tom