[pct-l] Fwd:

Ron wrote:
>As to you Dave, do you really think you saw anymore on your trip up the PCT
>than Brain did on his Triple Crown? Do we really believe that the
>difference between a 2.5 and a 3.5 mile an hour pace blinds us to the world
>we're
>passing through? Sure I'd image it'd be nice to sit in one spot and
>contemplate the view for a few hours. But then really how many hikers do
>that?

Ron -
In fact, (and in support of your point) - Brian's pace (by his own estimate)
is about 2.5 mph.  He didn't "run" a marathon, supposedly he didn't even
walk faster than the average thruhiker - he just walked longer every day -
and didn't take breaks.

Not my words, but his.

And if anyone thinks that's BS then chew on this - when Ginny and I  went
through Oregon last year we limited our mileage to 23 miles per day.  In
order to do that we had to start late, stop early, take lots of 'rest' stops
and 2 hour lunch breaks - and we don't walk any faster than Brian.  Think
what kind of mileage we'd have done if we'd walked from can-see to can't-see
without stopping like Brian did.  We'd have finished 2 weeks earlier - and
we sure didn't want to do that.

Walk softly,
Jim