[pct-l] Flyin' Brian

When I met Brian at this year's ADZ kickoff, I could not concieve of his
goal.  I asked him the only question that seemed to matter and the one that
ultimately challenged him, "Why?"  (What a stupid question, eh?)  He answered
something along the lines of "because" or "because it hasn't been done".

I noticed that the answer to this question changed throughout his phenomenal
accomplishment.

Initially, rather vague.  Then in an interview somewhere on the CDT he
started to define the answer by decribing what it was not; fun, social,
somewhat a chore.

Recently, he answered that he hoped his accomplishment would bring greater
attention to the trails and their funding and preservation needs.

On the one hand I am blown away by this incredible accomplishment.

On the other hand, I have to agree that such a high speed "race" against time
is contrary to the ideals that Clinton C. Clarke had in mind for the
establishment of the PCT, contrary to the enjoyment of the wilderness for the
sake of the values and beauty therein (Brian even agreed that what he was
doing did not enable him to fully enjoy the environment through which he was
racing),  and is unlikely to promote greater appreciation, preservation or
funding for the PCT, CDT or AT.  Time will tell.

I think that what I'm hearing is that Brian hasn't quite defined the answer
to my question yet.  It might take him a bit longer to figure it out.

I haven't quite figured out my own answer as to why I hiked the PCT, yet.
All I know, and I know this as one of the few true facts in my life, is that
I am damn glad I did, whatever the reason.

Wow, Brian!  You sure have done something.  HYOH.

Greg "Strider" Hummel

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---