From: "bill blovis" <blovis@lycos.com>
To: <pct-l@backcountry.net>; <at-l@backcountry.net>; <cdt-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Congrats to Brian, but let's keep it real.

> First of all, Brian's achievement is impressive, and he deserves
commendation for being the first to _attempt_ a calendar triple crown.
However, the magnitude of his achievement won't be known until other hikers
attempt it.

> That said, I also think it's extremely premature -- and even naive -- to
say that Brian's hike is "bringing hiking to the world stage" or "giving
hiking the attention it deserves." If "hiking" is a race from point to point
thru the woods, then Brian has certainly brought it to the world stage.

> I happen to think hiking deserves better than this. I think Brian should
have at least paid lip service to the fact that it isn't fun to blast thru
the woods at 30-miles/day. In fact, I think _someone_ should have recognized
the obvious irony of doing so.

> Moreover, Brian's boo-hoo-ing about not being able to seize the day with
one of the many "seemingly available women," who no doubt lined the streets
of New England, is an even more absurd example of his adventure's hilarious
irony. Look, if you're going to have a chance to use the NYT as an organ for
the advance of the cause of hiking, don't talk about booty you didn't get
... talk about the majesty of the Trinities, talk about the need for
volunteers in the PCT's Section O, talk about the remarkable lack of anyone
but white people on the scenic trails, talk about the amazing women who defy
conventional wisdom and thru-hike the trails solo -- GIVE PEOPLE A REASON TO
GET OUT THERE and hike 2 or 3 miles.

> Don't turn the scenic trails into a new stage for the breaking and
re-breaking of land speed records. Don't invite more ultra-marathoning
assholes out there. Okay, a feat like Brian's is bound to do this, but he's
pissing away a great opportunity to do good for the trails here, and all
these lists are doing is drooling all over him.