[pct-l] AT verses PCT

I have met Monte, and I liked him.

But All of Monte's knowledge seems to come from the PCT.
I don't have Monte's knowledge of the PCT ( only 600 miles total
in 3 states ),but I have hiked about 1800 miles on the AT.

In my opinion the major differences between the two trails are:
the PCT was DESIGNED and Built, whereas the AT was built and then
used. The PCT had a plan, but the AT seldom seemed
to have the planning or coordination or the grades of the PCT.

When I was on the AT I used to say that I could tell which
districts had congresspeople interested in the trail. These were
the better sections of the trail, because money had been applied
to the design and construction.

The PCT was designed for both horses and people whereas the AT
was built by people in a hurry. This is evident in the
switchbacks and grades of the trail. Many people who have hiked
both trails probably have a daily average miles 30% greater
on the PCT than the AT.

In dry years the AT can be as dry as the PCT.

After two years I still haven't finished the AT. This is mostly
because of my "fear" of the trail in NH and ME. I don't think that
this fear would hold me back on the PCT because of the above
mentioned reasons. In fact the only fear I have of the PCT is
making the first 21 miles to Lake Morena in first day. At my age
it takes about a week to get into somewhat decent shape and
20 miles was about my max on the AT. So I would have to find
this week of hiking somewhere else ( Grand Canyon ?), If I
was to succeed on the first day.

Some of the reasons for more hikers on the AT:

     Proximity to more people, especially in the middle states
     Easier access to roads, supplies, and towns.
     Up to a few years ago, better documentation.

When I retired in 99, I chose the AT because of the above
reasons. I never regretted it, except when the trails were
bad. Of course it may be because I'm such a wimp, but I have
a dislike of steep rocks pretending to be a trail, especially
when wet.

http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

email  --- mike_aken@hotmail.com

I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one.
                         Jack Hampson

Message: 3