[pct-l] Firsts and list relevance

In a message dated 5/27/2001 1:17:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CMountainDave@aol.com writes:

> On the subject of a "first" triple crown in one calendar year: Seems to me
> that the reason this would be such a difficult task is BECAUSE of weather
> and
> snowpack conditions. To simply sidestep these conditions and claim to "win"
> the game of being first seems to be making up your own rules as you go
> along.
> They don't do that in marathons, ballooning around the world or claiming to
> be the first to reach the summit of K2 do they? So why should it be any
> different in claiming a first triple thru hiking crown in one calendar
> year?
> An entire mountain range was skipped due to snowpack.

Brian hasn't claimed hiking the Triple Crown in a calendar year yet.

Road walking in New Mexico is quite common for thru-hikers on the CDT,
regardless whether you agree with it or not.  If there is an "official" route
through NM many don't take it for it's not completed or otherwise not very
good trail for many reasons.  The trail through NM, along the rest of the
CDT, is at ones discretion and to me that's one of it's biggest allures.

For anyone that's thru-hiked the CDT (or intends too) "purity" is, or should
be, a non-issue, atleast until the trail's completed.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---