[pct-l] CatStove

<< I was having trouble getting my church key holes to come out as clean as
 yours, so I tried drilling the holes for the inner can.   I found that the
 tabs from the outer can are enough to hold the inner can up.  Also, by
 drilling I was able to add more fuel without it leaking.  >>

Hi Rick.  Thanks for the tip!  As long as the drilled holes are big enough to
get the required air flow, this sounds like an easy alternative.  You
mentioned "holding the inner can up".  The tabs certainly keep it centered,
but the inner can should be pushed down so that, on a flat surface, the
bottom of the inner can is even with the rim of the air jacket.  This way,
air is able to enter the burner (inner can) over the top as well as through
the tabs, or your drilled holes.

However, the important thing is that it works well.  If you can get a pint of
water to a rolling boil in four to five minutes with two Tbsp of fuel, and
the fuel burns out shortly after that, you've got a "cookin' " stove!  If it
doesn't quite measure up to that, then tinker with it.

I've also cooked for two by adding more fuel, but the CatStove was designed
to be a one-person stove.  Your variation should allow you to put a bit more
fuel into the burner.  Good idea!  (With four or five Tbsp of fuel, the stove
will burn for 10 minutes or more.)

When my son and I were on the trail, we each carried our own CatStove.  While
one of us was setting up camp, the other would sometimes boil a quart of
water for our two Ramens.  It wasn't as efficient (the stove is designed to
heat one pint with minimum fuel), but if we had the extra fuel, and we always
carried a little extra, it got the first course on the table faster.