[pct-l] goals

Thanks Jeffrey for your heartfelt and eloquent thoughts.  I, too, felt
many of the same things you experienced.  For me, the goal of "Canada"
was the framework around which to build the experience, the lens through
which I saw my surroundings. "Canada" got me through the initial bugs,
snow, heat, and injuries.  But to paraphrase Jimmy Buffett, changes in
latitude bring changes in attitude.  As the weeks wore on, the struggle
itself became the thing.  Always the struggle.  As a football running
back into a defensive line, I threw myself at the trail (or the snowy
lack thereof) and the other daily challenges.  Sometimes I'd get stopped
for a loss but 3 yards and a cloud of dust was sufficient progress.  I
had stretches, sometimes long stretches, of great doubt and despair,
punctuated by moments of profound joy.  And always the struggle.  As the
weeks stretched in months, I slowly shuffled off the mortal coil. My
"center" emerged in the way that a newborn enters the world: blind, cold,
wet, and sputtering.  I had no need for things, only an occasional warm
nipple and a story told through the trees.  I learned what it is to truly
be alive, to awaken the senses, to hear and sometimes fear the screams of
silence.  Sadly, so many people, especially those living in an urban
environment, never really know what it is to be alive.  We spend our days
trying to drown the silence with sound and furry.  When the fury dies
down, we reach for the clicker and change the channel.  All in the
relentless pursuit to avoid pain.  Take a pill, it will feel better.  For
me, long distance hiking was/is all about embracing the pain and learning
to separate mere things from true needs.  I was and still am profoundly
humbled by the experience.

Henry
PCT '99