[pct-l] Brian in Big Bear........

Perhaps we don't always agree with something; and perhaps we don't always
see eye to eye on points...but "to each his own."  I can remember sitting
in the Pub at the Inn at the Long Trail eating my third hamburger of the
third day of my stay there.  All of a sudden, a fellow walked up and
ordered a guiness.  He didn't really look like a hiker (no beard) but he
was wearing hiker clothes.  I'd never seen him before, so I introduced
myself as a fellow hiker.  We got into a nice conversation and then I
asked him when he'd started.  "May 5." he replied.  I began to take
another sip of my drink when I suddenly did a tripple take and spewed it
all over the bar.  "May 5!" I exclaimed. "Man, I was probably only
somewhere in Virginia at that time."  Pulling out my Data Book I noted
that I had indeed been in Pearisburg VA, 620 miles north of Springer
Mountain Georgia.  I asked hime why he had started so late.  "I had to
finish up a semester of school at Virginia Tech (about 20 miles FROM
Pearisburg, VA where I was at that time)...and I have to be back for Fall
semester too."  It turns out, that in the time that I had done 900 miles,
he had done over 1500, and had come today, froma shelter that I had stayed
at nearly a week ago (remember that I'd been at the Inn for three days
too.  I was no slow hiker.  When I hiked, I averaged 18 mpd, and on the
AT< that ain't too shabby.  But this guy, this dude was AVERAGING close to
30 miles per day.  When I asked him if he was enjoying himself at all, or
if it was merely a mental blood bath (which is what I secretly thoguht),
he replied that he was indeed having a wonderful time and would do it
again this way in a heart beat.

I had the same reluctance at first when following Brian.  I thought that
it was just a fricken trophy and that he was some insane deranged person
that needed to slow down and enjoy himself.  But you know what?  I've
warmed to his style and I applaud him for accomplishing what he already
has.  I wouldn't ever do this myself, it's just not my thing; but I really
do think that he's having a good time, and that's all that really matters
anyhow.  Good luck to him. -Howie