[pct-l] Re: More about tents and tarps

Richard Winterstein wrote:
This sounds like a good system but I'm curious about
one thing.  How do you

have your ground cloth attached to the tent floor?  Is it removeable
(in the

field) so that you can store the tent and the ground cloth separately?
Even

after letting the ground cloth dry in the sun and shaking it clean,
there's

bound to be some dirt and debris stuck to it, no?  If the ground
cloth and

tent aren't separable, I'd be worried about some of this stuff rubbing

against the tent fabric as I jam the whole unit into its stuff sack.
Or is

this really not as serious a problem as I'm imagining it to be?

Richard,

    I used a piece of lightweight paint drop cloth,
very thin, since it is only a vapor barrier.

    I cut it to the shape of the tent floor and about
1" smaller all around than the tent floor so portions of the cloth wouldn't
stick out.

I attached it with strips of filament reinforced strapping tape: long
piece of tape, stick one end to one side of plastic, pinch the middle portion
together lengthwise  to adhere tape to itself and then through the
tent ground loop; then stick the remaining end to the plastic.
I've only used my tent a little and so far I've not noticed a problem
with stuff getting in between the tent floor and the ground cloth. Will
pay more attention to this just in case.
John

text/html (html body -- converted)
---