[pct-l] AD0PCTKO and a flippin' correction

Hey all,
I was a first-time attendee at the AD0PCTKO, and since it was the first
AGPLDHG&IR, it was my first time too. ;-)
It really was a great time, even for somebody who didn't know anyone when he
arrived.  Well, I knew that Greg H. was tall.  I got set up, and soon started
listening in, asking questions, and helping out.
I saw attending the AD0PCTKO as research for my upcoming through hike, and it
was well worth it.  I got to see and touch all the shelters I was considering
and talk to the owners about pros and cons.  I saw how many people had Frogg
Toggs and said, "That many people can't be wrong."  I saw how small a
well-planned pack can be.  And on and on.  I also got to meet some of the
people I might see on my JMT hike this summer.
So, if you are considering a long hike, learning about light gear, or want to
absorb additional enthusiasm for doing the PCT, I highly recommend this event.
Bring earplugs.

I do have one correction to the 1st AGPLDHG&IR Results.
Erich and Patty Espenschied's second system was a lightweight stove system that
fit into a smallish plastic container/eating bowl.  I think it was based on the
pepsi can stove, but I'm not certain.
What Greg didn't mention is that Erich abandoned his original pack and is
hiking with the G4 that they won, a true testimonial.

Someone else (Ray?) had the chocolate and macadamia nut high calorie to weight
entry.

John B.
flowerstorm
JMT 2001
PCT 2002

>Message: 31
> From: Bighummel@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 01:27:41 EDT
> To: pct-l@backcountry.net
> Subject: [pct-l] 1st AGPLDHG&IR Results

<snip>

> Erich and Patty Espenschied entered two separate "systems":
> 1) A dual sleeping system consisting of a single mummy down bag with the
> zipper sewn stationary about 18 inches up from the foot and two "wings" of
> 1.1 ripstop sewn to each open edge of the bag with velcro tabs to close the
> two wings under them.
> 2) A cooking system wherein they assessed the maximum calorie content in the
> most compact, light weight form and came up with macadamia nuts and
> chocolate!  "The only problem is that you tired of it rather quickly,
> however, it makes for a great trading item!"

<snip>

> The entertainment could not have been better had we paid the contestants!  It
> was a highlight and sure to be repeated next year with a few new rules.

> Best regards,

> Greg "Strider" Hummel

 >I apologize for any inaccuracies, but too flippin'
bad!