[pct-l] 1st AGPLDHG&IR Results

The First Annual Great Pacific Long Distance Hiking Gear and Invention Review
was held last Saturday evening at the 3rd ADZPCTKO.  The judges consisted of
Tom Reynolds, Charlie Jones, Monte Dodge, Ron Moak and Strider.  The entries
were as follows:

Tom Reynolds entered an innovative backpack featuring a large undetermined
volume (but estimated to be enough to equal my old Kelty Tioga volume), a
dual stay with free floating cross support that provided vertical support for
the bag and contents, support point for the shoulder pads and support for a
water bag in the single compartment.  A full detachable belly band (so you
could attach your favorite or eliminate it at your pleasure) nicely supports
and controls the long bag.  Total weight was somewhere significantly more
than the G4 and significantly less than an old external.  Overall an
excellent compromise between light weight, capacity and support.

Erich and Patty Espenschied entered two separate "systems":
1) A dual sleeping system consisting of a single mummy down bag with the
zipper sewn stationary about 18 inches up from the foot and two "wings" of
1.1 ripstop sewn to each open edge of the bag with velcro tabs to close the
two wings under them.
2) A cooking system wherein they assessed the maximum calorie content in the
most compact, light weight form and came up with macadamia nuts and
chocolate!  "The only problem is that you tired of it rather quickly,
however, it makes for a great trading item!"

Glen van Peski entered his fresh-off-the-designing-table G5 backpack with
similar features to the G4 but only 6 ounces by using the lightest,
flimsyist, nylon I have ever seen!

Carol "Brawny" Wellman entered her customized homemade rain gear suit made of
1.1 sil-nylon with fold-in mittens of the same material, ample hood, extra
length and low front pocket in the jacket.  They are constructed such that
there are no seams on top of the shoulders or on the outside of the pants to
leak. As I recall (any of you that were there please feel free to correct my
poor old memory) the pants weigh 6 ounces and the jacket 4.

Ken Kaplan showed his sprouting / soaking system which involved a fine nylon
mesh material made into simple stuff sacks sized to fit nicely into ziplock
bags.  The mesh bags enable the sprouts to soak and grow in their aqueous
environment securely in your pack, hanging outside or tucked into your
sleeping bag to prevent freezing at night.

Roy Robinson showed off Brian's shelter tried, tested and true on 2,000
miles.  As Tom Reynolds said "By using your hiking poles you get a competent
tarp lean-to that weighs about 9 ounces. You will probably need a ground
sheet 4 ounces.You can add a bug net for 4 ounces and an add-on tarp that
essentially creates a pup tent for another 3 ounces. For a pound plus [20
ounces] you get a competent shelter."

Anne Cahill shyly exhibited her simple yet effective stove stand.  Three 2
inch long aluminum tubes about 1/2 inch in diameter stand vertically with
three aluminum tent stakes going thru holes drilled thru the tubes.  The
tubes then can slide out to provide a stable tri-leg support for the stove
suspending it about two inches above whatever the underlying material is.
The crowd "ewwwww"ed when she slid them out!

Vona Rowat entered her silly floral hat that her husband gave her (so that
she wouldn't take his anymore or vica versa).  It is light weight and she
claims can hold water!

Lightningbolt exhibited to the riveted crowd his "Deluxe Cooking System" with
flare and delightful southern drawl.  Selling the virtues of this ultra light
weight system he featured the freshly designed and assembled "hot water cup".
 He explained that a 1/2 liter water bottle cut in half was found to shrink
only once when first exposed to boiling water.  Then they (his cohorts in
design and assembly) cut an inch high ring from a styrofoam cup to slide
around the middle of the outside of the bottom half of the water bottle.  It
was secured and protected by a strip of duct tape and "viola" a hot water cup
which keeps your fingers from feeling any of the heat.  At a couple ounces it
bettered the titanium cup I had as a prize.  The rest of the system consisted
of a light weight pot and pop can stove with accesories.

Glen Hornet explained that lines of latitude narrow on maps as you go north
in the northern hemisphere.  So to have a devise that can stretch would allow
you to measure between these lines on successive maps as you go north.  Thus
you could use the elastic of your underwear for this!

"Patch" was going to enter his hiking poles but got scared and retracted his
entry upon seeing the competition!

Andrew Souje (sp?) entered his ultra-light watch.  A simple plastic wrist
watch with strap and pins removed.  When asked what he did to keep from
loosing it he proclaimed, "I simply keep it in my pocket"!

The judges concidered these fine entries and took many minutes of discussion
and argument to come to our senses.

Glen Hornet's underwear latitude ruler was awarded a prize for "Most
innovative use of useless materials"

Roy Robinson was awarded "Most creative multiple use of one item" for his
tarp-poncho creation.

Tom Reynolds was disqualified from winning the "Most useful gadget or
invention" for attempting to bribe a judge (me!) with offering gratis his
great pack.  Instead Carol Wellman's rain suit took this prize.

The judges couldn't make up their mind on a winner for "Lightest weight -most
impressive design combination" and so deleted from the contest in line with
the first rule of the contest.

"Best alternative use of an item" was awarded to Anne Cahill for her
tent-stake-stove-holder.

The Grand Prize was to be awarded to Glen van Peski for his G5 pack except
the Grand Prize was a G4 pack!  So we disqualified Glen, again in keeping
with the first rule of the contest and awarded it to the dual entries of E &
P Espenscheid.  The judges proclaimed that taken together they were really
quite amazing, however, individually they really didn't amount to much!

The entertainment could not have been better had we paid the contestants!  It
was a highlight and sure to be repeated next year with a few new rules.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

I apologize for any inaccuracies, but too flippin' bad!