Some inaccuracies: Re: [pct-l] More about tents and tarps.

> *** A ground cloth is always required in any termperate zone experiencing
> inclement weather and temperature differentials during the night vs day
> (well- that about covers everywhere :-)))
> BECAUSE of condensation on the floor. Your warmth in the tent- even if you
> are in a sleeping bag- is enough to condense water out inside the tent
> on the walls AND the floors. If the humidity and tent temp differentials\
> are sufficient one can get 1/8 inch of water pooling inside which can
> soak a shirt for example, and make a sleeping bag uncomfortable if
> you dont have a Gortex or dryloft type bag!!

 While you may get condensation inside your tent, a ground cloth
underneath the tent floor will have no effect on the condensation inside
your tent. How can it?

> The ground cloth should always be equal to the geometry of the bottom
> of the tent (ie, never extends beyond the bottom) or should be afxed to
> the tent bottom!)

Maybe the ground cloth should be the same size and shape as the tent
bottom, or a little smaller. But I as well as many others carry my
ground cloth also for use when I don't put up my tent. I like a bigger
ground cloth to give me a bigger area to put my stuff while sleeping.
Sure my ground cloth may weigh more this way but this way also works for
me.

YMMV.

John

multipart/alternative