[pct-l] More about tents and tarps.

> Yes, you will, although here tarp-camping has some advantages over using a
> tent.  Your ground cloth need only be the size of your sleeping bag, unlike
> the ground cloth of a tent, which has to be the size of the tent's
> footprint.  Since the area of your ground cloth will never extend beyond the
> margins of your tarp, you don't need to worry about water running down the
> sides and being channeled under your sleeping area.

    Although many people with tents do use a ground cloth under their
tent to protect the bottom of the tent, there really is no requirement
to do so. I've used a tent without ground cloth underneath many times.
Another disadvantage to the ground cloth under the tent is that rain may
get onto the top of the ground cloth and run between it and the tent and
increase the likelihood that water will come through the tent floor.

    >  The other nice thing about camping with a tarp in the rain is that the
    >  set-up is more logical than when erecting a tent.  With a tarp, first you
    >  put up the tarp; then, when you've established your living quarters, you
    >  bring out your ground cloth and sleeping bag (and perhaps bivy sack), which
    >  remain completely dry in the process.  On the other hand, with a tent,
    >  usually you first have to spread out the ground cloth (which gets wet), then
    >  you set up the tent (which gets wet), and only after you've finished all
    >  that do you finally get the rain fly in position.

    Some of us have a simpler system with out tents. I have a Stephenson
WarmLite which does not use a separate rainfly. Also per Jack
Stephenson's recommendation, I have my 'ground cloth' attached to the
bottom of the tent so I can spread everything out at once and the ground
cloth is in position. Then I stick in the poles, set a couple of stakes,
and I've a dry shelter.

    None the less one of these days I think I'll try the tarp option.

John

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---