[pct-l] Re:(pct-l) Whitney base camp

I have camped at Guitar Lake four times as an approach to Whitney.  It
is loaded with campsites, especially on the slope to the west of the
lake.  We have never had a bear  or marmot problem there, although the
mice played HIckory Dickory Dock on our packs one night.  It is a
stunningly beautiful place, especially with a full moon.  It is also
amazingly cold in the morning.  Ice on the creek and lakeshore is
routine on August mornings.  There is a spring hidden under a flat rock
near the lake.  Beware of the human-made  piles behind the largest
rocks--evidence that MANY people camp here.  If you get out of camp
early (before 8) you can be pretty sure to summit Whitney well before
noon if the weather cooperates.  The trail up the west face is
well-built switchbacks all the way.
Marion Davison