[pct-l] tarps

on 23/4/01 1:57 PM, Michael Gosnell at michaelgosnell@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm section hiking the PCT and so I'm able to choose when I go which is
> nice concerning the best weather conditions.  I'm going to begin using a
> bivy sac w/ a tarp for rain/sun protection.  Any suggestions for for
> lightweight tarps.  I've checked out the name brands and most are either to
> large/heavy.  I'd love to find a tarp for one person around 2 lbs.

Hello Michael -

Take a look at the Campmor light-weight tarps.  I find that the 8X10 1.1 oz
works well for me.

The only problem that I have had was above treeline on the CDT in late Sep
(condensation rainstorm inside during hailstorm outside).  Was in plenty of
other rainstorms, hailstorms, and snow flurries with no problems.  Something
about that combo of temp, humidity, and outside precip zapped me that one
time.

- Charlie