[pct-l] Lightweight pistols if you decide to carry

Howdy listers,
I've been doing a little research on small revolvers as I'm in the
market for one.  They are now really lightweight as they've started
using titanium in their construction.  I have a snub nose .38 special 5
shot which is something over 20 ounces (unloaded) and the new titanium
snubbies are getting down to near 10 ounces. Should you decide you want
to carry a firearm for the start of the PCT, check out the following two
websites for some possibilities:

http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/index.html
http://data.smith-wesson.com/sport/select_firearm.cfm

Just as a data point, I carried a pistol while leaving the border.  I
was less worried about the illegal aliens than I was worried about the
criminals there that rob the illegal aliens.  After a couple of weeks, I
met my mom by I-10 and dropped the pistol off.  Shipping firearms is a
big pain in the rear.  If you're going to carry a pistol, you should be
familiar with the California Penal Code sections starting with 12025
thru 12031 (also available on the web at
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html - do a search for those numbers and
check "Penal Code").  I sometimes carry a snubby when hiking with my
dogs in areas with lots of rattlesnakes - you can buy rounds with
birdshot (never had to use them on a snake yet though).  One of those
new titanium revovlers will work great for this kind of useage.
         Jeff Jones