[pct-l] fire, bugs, and cops that drive on curbs

Steve,

You don't mean to tell me you believe everything you read. Especially when
it the Park Service printing it. While the Park Service does a good job
putting up nice educational kiosks explaining the ecosystem, it's own
management practices often put it at odds with maintaining a healthy
environment.

Simply because much of the management emphasis in the parks is concerned
with maintaining the expected look and feel of the park by the visitor.
Sometimes things that look bad, aren't and sometimes things that look good
aren't. However, it's often hard to explain to that gray haired biddy from
New York that an ecosystem that looks in disarray is often quite healthy.
It's also one of the problems that LNT's frequently have.

Personally, I'd have to see a bit more empirical evidence than a placard
posted on some backcountry tree. In the meantime I don't build fires where
there is insufficient fuel, actually I generally don't build them unless I'm
in a campground.

For those who don't know, I do have a degree in Forestry. Of course that
only makes me mildly knowledgeable. The rest is pure bull....

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
http://www.fallingwater.com/