[pct-l] re: immigrant rescues

It's been a while since I popped up to ask the age old question "Ice-axe or
no ice-axe?"  And I have quietly kept out of this immigrant issue. However,
It appears that Dave and I are on the same page and I wanted to voice my
agreement. The bottom line IS profit and corporate greed.  And we, as
hikers, should recognize that the people crossing the border are merely
looking to escape their poverty in "the land of opportunity". It's too easy
to for us to act as if we are not part of the problem while we buy our new
pair of Nikes which are made in Indonesian slave labor camps or purchase our
hip VW Jetta which is made in some squalid Mexican auto plant. We ARE the
problem. And unless we are willing to pay more for these items we will
continue to see people attempting to better themselves in this land of
exploitation. ok. I will step off my soap box now and slip back into my
hole.

-Kevin
PCT 2002