[pct-l] Getting lost

At 8:39 PM -0800 4/6/01, ROYROBIN@aol.com wrote:
><< What conditions would make a compass impossible to use in your
> experience? >>
>
>If you forget to use it to see which way you started out, it won't help you
>find your way back.  That's not the fault of the compass.

Agreed. User error.

If I walk away from my main pack, it is my rule
NEVER to walk out of sight of it. If I need to, I go back and get the
pack, as distasteful as that may be...too many opportunities to
get separated from it.  If  I am ascending a peak, I have a summit
pack when has all my essentials in it; and I know where my pack
or camp is by the terrain- not just the compass reading.

In almost every weather and terrain condition you can imagine, I have never
been unable to use my compass- a flashlight lights it in at night
if  I must travel then.  Whereas my GPS has failed to lock onto
satellites in **MANY** canyons and forests.

Compass in my fanny pack.

GPS back in store counter display case faithfully blinking NrTH/BaTTerY LoW
and plugged into the wall charger <smirk>.