[pct-l] Getting lost

Fog or whiteouts make a compass of little use when going cross country. Sure,
you can pick a bearing and blindly follow it, but if visibility is less than
50 feet, you are quite likely to simply miss your camp (if that is what you
are seeking) or a winding trail and just keep right on going, eventually
becoming hopelessly confused. Finding a STRAIGHT trail, however, is a much
simpler task even in a whiteout with a compass as long as you are sure of
what side of the trail you are on -- left or right and know the bearing of
the trail itself. That's why maps should accompany a compass. My mistake in
nearly getting lost was not having a compass in my pocket (hey, no one covers
all the bases all the time) but luckily, the clouds gave me a sense of
direction and the trail was straight.
  P.S. I'm not sure where that spot in Oregon is anymore. I no longer have a
PCT guide book but I think it was between Ollalie Lake and Timberline Lodge