[pct-l] hitchhiking

One thing about hitchhiking - California passed a law a couple of years ago
making it illegal for passengers to ride without seat belts.  Made it much
more difficult to get rides.  We've found that you're more likely to get a
ride in a pickup truck than anything else - now you can't legally ride in
the back of pickup trucks (unless they have seats with seatbelts).  It used
to be that both the drivers and the riders felt safe if the hitchhiker was
sitting in the back of the pick-up.  Now that we are supposed to be inside,
with seatbelts, most cars will pass us by.  It got very frustrating at
times, seeing all the pickups pass by.  (Of course, some people in pick ups
picked us up anyway, we just crossed our fingers and hoped not to get
stopped.)  The hardest places to get rides were Hwy 2 above Wrightwood and
Cottonwood Pass.

Ginny