From: "Ken Kaplan" <kkaplan@isher.com>
To: <jcryan@pocketmail.com>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 2:25 AM
Subject: [pct-l] pct-l spinoff list for trail conditions?

> I just got one of these pocketmail gadgets for the trail, partly because
of the value of the kind of recon provided by Sassafras (below). Knowing at
the right time about water availability, snow conditions, etc. could be
awful nice, and it would be easier to communicate details via email than via
the PCTA hotline.

> I wonder if there are enough of us digital trekkers to justify a pct-l
spinoff list strictly for trail condition reports, so that we wouldn't have
to download & dig through the main list for these pearls? It might be best
to set up this trail conditions list at backcountry.net, to make it work
just like the main list. But if the Keeper of the List (don't know who) is
otherwise engaged, I could set it up as a topica.com list.

> Would anyone else find a PCT trail conditions mailing list useful? Would
it detract from the main list?

> > Hi everyone,
> > Just completed this section and thought I'd send a few thoughts. Weather
has been sunny in the 70s which still requires a bit of adjustment for this
Northwesterner. Between Campo and Lake Morena, water flowing in creeklet
just after San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad tracks and Hauser Creek
also chortling. Only 2 dollars for a backpacker's site at the Lake Morena
Campground. Friendly folks at the malt shop.
> > Boulder Oaks campground closed but faucets flowing with various colors
of water; I went with the clear kind. Plentyof water in Long Canyon.