[pct-l] eco challenge footware

The comments were made,

>>> I watched the Eco Challenge race on "48 hours" last night. Talk about
shredded feet!! They had a close up of one poor lady in excruciating pain
taking off her running shoes. (she had to be helicopered out) Don't want to
start any more debates but you'll never guess what she was wearing. They had
a great big N on the side. I know companies love to get free time on T.V.
but not that kind!
>>> Actually it would be very interesting to know what the people who
finished and/or won wore although it would probably have little to do with
hiking the
PCT. They went less than a mere 100 miles on foot during the race, I do
believe.

I watched the show too and was amazed at the condition of the teams' feet.
But when you consider that even though there were only about 100 miles of
actual foot travel, you have to realize that much of the rest of the time
was spent in the water and in canoes or outriggers. You end up with totally
macerated skin and any blisters, whether open or closed, become killers.
Cracks in the callused heels open further. Last fall I wrote an article for
Adventure World magazine about moisture, cold, and trenchfoot--all the
things they were exposed to. You have to give them credit for getting as far
as they did. When they race against the clock they likely did not have the
time to correct problems and take proper care of their feet. The shape of
the tape on their feet told me that whether they knew how to really
effectively care for their feet is an unknown.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes; Second Edition
www.footworkpub.com