[pct-l] Re: Oragami Tarp

I don't remember which list this came off of, so please pardon the crossposting.

Brandon in HI,

Fabulous tarp configuration - you rock. After a successful mockup with a 8" x 8" piece of paper, I tried it with my 8' x 8' silnylon tarp. It works even better on squares IMO than rectangles. I used 5 stakes, rope, and 1 jumbo paperclip. Worked beautifully.

I don't use hiking poles so I wanted to see if I could set it up without any. I tied off the rope to the center tieout (point 17), stretched it along the "awning" and tied a knot in the rope where the end (point 1) would be. Then I tied the rope to a tree. I opened
a big paperclip into an "S" and hooked one end in the point 1 tie out and hooked the other end on the tree side of the rope knot. This gives me center elevation in the tarp, holds the awning open, but lets me unhook it (and stake down) if the wind veers or the
weather gets really beastly. The knot keeps the hook from slideing back towards the tarp.

I might use 7 stakes for severe weather. Also I may get a bit of noseeum net to cover the "door". A couple of tabs of velcro would make attachment easy and still lite.

Elizabeth